Thursday, January 4, 2018

When Deer Hunting turns to Crane Hunting!


It was getting towards the end of Deer Season in 2015 and I hadn't shot a deer.  So I set up in our lower wheat field with a pop up blind hoping to put a little venison on the table.  Never did I expect to have the night I had.  First one small group of Sandhills came into the field, then another and then larger groups decided to join them.  Before it was over there were between 900 to 1,000 birds squawking and carrying on around me.  I had a Sandhill permit but of course I didn't have a shotgun, only my deer rifle.  It was fun watching but the deer decided to go elsewhere.  Of course the next night I prepared to hunt cranes in the same spot, and yes you guessed it, not one crane!

No comments: